Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

Yesterday started out like a normal day for me. I went to work like any normal day. The only thing different was that I would be getting paid extra money because it was a holiday. I actually could have had the day off. It's hard to pass up the hours when I'm getting paid more to be there! But people still fly as much on the actual holidays as any other day. It's amazing how full our flights were!
I had been invited to go to my friend Tina's house for dinner (at four or five o'clock)in the afternoon. She had recently moved into her house with my help along with some of my other friends. So she decided this would be the time to break in her kitchen with ALOT of cooking! She also invited her cousin and his family along with her Mom. We each brought something to contribute to the meal. I made an apple pie from scratch. Tina and her Mom pretty much made the main meal. Turkey, potatoes, stuffing and sweet potatoes. I made the gravy for them as they never had done that before. They really liked it too! (sniff, sniff, ....so proud!) Her cousin had brought over two casseroles. Needless to say, we ate too much!
After cleaning up the mess in the kitchen, Tina sent some leftovers with me to take home. I had no problem with that!
The holiday itself happened to be right in the middle of my normal work week so I hadn't planned on going anywhere out of town. I figured that I might as well work that day too. In the past years, I have worked a double shift. But I can tell that I'm getting older. My body doesn't like the sound of a double shift let alone actually working it! And typically I work on Christmas as well. But this year I plan on being in ND! I can't wait! It's been many years since I have! Dad and Beverly haven't been there in the winter except for last year as they had been traveling south with many other snow birds. However it will work out for me to have days off for almost a week. So I'm heading north to the frozen tundra!
I hope your holiday was as filling as mine was. I spoke to family after I got home from Tina's house. It was fun to hear about their respective days and how they ate too much!
I definitely have much to be thankful for. I've been healthy this year and am gainfully employed. I have a nice house to live in and two cats to keep me company when I'm actually at home. I also have great friends to hang out with whenever we come up with a reason to get together. And I have a wonderful family that I may not see as often as I like but we speak on the phone and that works for me in between visits. Don't forget to count your blessings as I'm sure you all have many things to be thankful for as well. Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

It's a great idea to count our blessings on Thanksgiving. We should do it every day, of course, but it's a good idea to do it this day to make sure that gratitude is our attitude, not gluttony (e.g., "Must! Eat! More! Turkey!").

So many people don't know how to make gravy . . . and what, pray tell, is so difficult about it, exactly? That always surprises me. Good thing you were there!