Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Flood of 2011; Nebraska and Iowa

The Mighty Missouri River actually began to swell back in late May, after having record rainfall in both Nebraska and Iowa.  But going up river towards South Dakota, Gavins Point Dam near Yankton, SD, began releasing water to ease the concerns of flooding in that area, which, in true domino fashion, began the unforeseeable and what would be record-breaking flooding down the river. 
I know the flood of 2011 has been on the news non-stop, especially in Minot, ND.   But here in Omaha, the main flooding concern has been at Eppley Airfield, the airport where I have spent the last almost 16 years working.  So far the levees around the airfield have held up but not without the extraordinary efforts of the employees of the Airport Authority.  They keep a 24 hour watch on them and make repairs where needed.  It's been a battle too.  They have been re-doing drainage pipes, adding pumps to take ground water back out to the river and repairing sink holes and sand boils.  Here is a timeline of all the major occurrences since May 20th.  I feel like I work on an island.  We are literally surrounded by water.  Carter Lake, IA, sits to the west of the airport terminal and has more water in it than I've ever seen.  And the river itself curves around from the north, around the east side and then back around on the south edge of the airfield.  So many businesses have moved out as a precaution or have been forced out because of the water. 
Portions of Interstate 29 and I-680 have been closed as well because it's under water.  There are many people that work at the airport that have to take other routes which in turn creates longer drives for them to get to work.  Many live in Iowa and commute (under normal circumstances) an hour or two.  Now, those people have to allow at least another 45 minutes to be at work on time.
There have been many aerial photos taken of the Missouri and all the victims of the flood.  You can view them here.  As for my own house, I'm in no danger.  I live on the west side of Omaha, nowhere near the Missouri River.  But my heart goes out to those that live near the airport, either in Omaha or Council Bluffs, IA.  Numerous homes have been flooded and property destroyed by the water.  Council Bluffs sits directly on the east side of the river.  Many businesses and home owners have been evacuated over there as well.  The water levels aren't expected to go down anytime soon either.  Reports have stated that it may be into September before any relief is seen. 
I've seen endless photos on Face Book that have been posted from all the devastation up in Minot, ND too.  I grew up in that area and I've never seen anything like it.  I have extended family and friends as well, that have had to leave their homes because of the Souris River/Mouse River overflowing it's banks.  The national news provided coverage from that area for several days.  Amazing....
As far as my job and airline service at the airport here in Omaha goes, it's a day to day thing.  As long as the levees aren't breached, I'll be able to go to work.  If flooding occurs right at the airfield, that's another story.  Efforts would be made by us as employees to get some of our equipment to higher ground and try to salvage as much as possible before the water would reach the actual terminal where we work flights.  That is, as long as we can get to the airport or just happen to be there if it happens.  But my own vehicle is a priority as well as far as I'm concerned!  I'll be making sure I get it away from the airport so that I still have something to drive!
Cross your fingers that Mother Nature decides to have mercy and soon!  She has been quite the force to reckon with this year.  It hasn't been very pretty to this point. 

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Eerie flashbacks . . .