Saturday, May 10, 2008

God Bless Home Delivery!

I remember as a child having the Schwan's Ice Cream truck come into our yard on a monthly basis. Mom always made sure to have on hand some of our favorites. These would include but not limited to: Root Beer float bars, ice cream bars, chocolate ice cream, vanilla ice cream, push 'ems, ice cream sandwiches, and single serve pizza's, just to name a few. Thankfully, we had a chest freezer in the basement of the house that had ample space for all these goodies.
I remember coming home from school many 'a day, especially when it was warmer outside, and heading right for the freezer to grab a snack from Schwan's. One of my all time favorites to this day is Chocolate Marshmallow Ripple Ice Cream. I love marshmallow in or on anything and this is the best combination of flavors ever thought up! (Next to peanut butter of course!)
After I moved into my house, I couldn't wait to get myself a chest freezer so that I could have the "Schwan's Man" come to my door. Side bar; growing up, whenever my siblings or I happened to notice the big yellow truck approaching, we would always yell to Mom that the "Schwan's Man" was coming. Even though we were given a sticker to put on the calendar as a reminder of our next day of delivery, we all would forget until we saw the truck. So Mom would have to scramble to get the current catalog and try to figure out if we needed anything in particular.
Recently I purchased a small Frigidaire freezer. It's the perfect size for me and has plenty of room for my Schwan's products. Need an idea of just how small? Even in it's box, I was able to adjust the rear seating bench in my van and it slid right in! My van is great for hauling things, but that's another story. I was able to unload it and get it into the basement myself. It now sits alongside my washer and dryer. A perfect trio of appliances!
Over time, the products available from Schwan's has increased ten fold. I haven't tasted anything from them that I didn't like. The quality of their food is well worth the extra money you may spend and it comes right to your door on a pre-arranged day and time of the week. Ordering in advance via the Internet is nice as well. There is a better chance that the products you choose will be available and you save yourself the awkwardness of having the "Schwans' Man" wait on you while you try to narrow your choices down from the vast selection in the catalog.
I highly encourage those of you that have never tried their food to do so. You'll never buy grocery store ice cream again!

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

Compare siblings' Schwan's memories here.