Monday, May 26, 2008

A Holiday Thunderstorm

On Sunday, right in the middle of the Memorial Day weekend, the weather in Omaha was very sticky and hot. If it wasn't for the calendar to reassure oneself, it felt like the middle of July. I believe the high for the day was 86*. The humidity was just an opening act for what was in store later in the evening. The main show was a very severe thunderstorm.
The wind began to blow very strong just about 7:30PM and I had just enough time to get outside to move all my potted flowers into the safety of the garage! Not long after that, the rain began to fall and the lightening and thunder were making their presence known as well. But it didn't last long. The storm passed through my neighborhood very quickly and by 8:15PM, I was able to step outside and managed to get a few pictures of the beautiful sky.

Looking westward just in front of my big Linden tree in the front yard.
Right before the sun peaked out from under the clouds.
The northeastern sky behind my house. The clouds with the storm are moving out!

The northern sky.

Just before the sun set for the night. (looking north)


Looking northeast again....almost dark now!


The view of the eastern sky from my deck.....love the purple!

Mother Nature always has a way of making things look so intriguing after using such brute force to create them. I noticed earlier in the day that while the temps were soaring right past 80* here in Omaha, the temps in western N.D., were hovering right around 53*! Amazing how they can vary so much from state to state. Over all, the holiday weekend, including today, Monday, turned out to be very nice! As of this writing, we have 72*! Perfect!


1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

Pretty sky pics. Yep, it was a chilly willy in Dad's neck of the woods on Monday. Great day for Susan, the girls, and me to spend the afternoon in various cemeteries! Sheesh.