Monday, May 24, 2010

Flower Power: The Early Stages

I've been waiting a long snowy winter to get out into my yard and plant flowers once again. I love spring and the new life that Mother Nature brings forth with the warming temperatures. All my plants in my front yard begin showing renewed signs of life as the buds of their flowers start to pop. My Korean Lilac has already bloomed as you saw in this post. After shopping one evening at Shopko, I brought home 77 plants. One was a hanging basket ready to display. The rest would be put into soil: either in the ground or into pots.If anyone knows me, you know that I love to put flowers everywhere! I still have a few pots left for more flowers but haven't gotten around to buying more flowers yet. It may not happen. Last year I planted almost 100 flowers. I'm under average right now! I like to get pictures after I plant them and then again later in the summer to show the growth. So here is my small gallery of photos....the perennials and the annuals that I've planted.


My huge Hosta....growing very well this year. Last year the rabbits got to it and slowed it down. I used some spray at the advice of my brother, which works great!

My Salvia's and Day Lillies. One of my Yews in the foreground.

My Moss Roses (16 plants)....pretty small right now. But stand by......I'll post pictures later in the summer when they've had a chance to grow.

Some Marigolds.

Rhubarb plants. I've picked once already this spring.


A combination of Petunias, Red Salvias, Marigolds and Snapdragons. The tall lone plant is a Gladiolus bulb from last year. It's the only one of 8 that actually grew.


Snapdragons in the large pots and Marigolds in the center.

Geranium and Marigolds.

Pansies.

More Pansies.
Can we just keep summer all year long? I love having my flowers for decoration. It adds so much to my landscape and deck. We've had so much rain this spring so I haven't had to water as much as I usually do. Typically I water the flowers every day. But not so far this year.
I would love to have you visit to see my plants in person. I always have room for you to stay! Happy spring!

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

77 PLANTS?! And last year you had 100 PLANTS?! You're crazy, woman!

I'm glad the rabbit repellent spray worked. It saved our hostas back in MN.

Was the rhubarb in your yard when you bought the house, or did you plant it?

As usual, all your flowers look lovely and will get prettier the bigger and fuller they grow.