Monday, June 14, 2010

Finally....Something I Like!

I've been searching each summer since I bought my house, for a decoration to hang on the outside wall under my porch. During the winter I have a wall hanging made of pine branches and pine cones that used to belong to my Mom. At Christmas time I add small holiday lights to it.

Even though I've seen many items at various stores such as Hobby Lobby or even WalMart and Kmart, nothing really caught my eye. Then for some reason I remembered (only after I happened to drive by!) the store that is apparently quite a hit down in Texas and other southern states....Garden Ridge. This store always has items on hand for the season at hand. And not just for either the outdoors or indoors alone. You'll find things for both at all times! I knew from past visits that they would be my best bet for decor. And were they ever! I can't even begin to explain just how many styles they had to choose from. I was looking for something metal that would hold up in the weather. But it also had to be easily hung from my vinyl siding. I also wanted it to be somewhat colorful to show up under the shade of my porch. I found just what I was looking for! Nothing too gaudy but enough to fill the space between my two long windows. And it shows up nicely from the street. I'm very happy with my purchase.





Each section has a metal flower on it. I thought the flower theme was fitting for me.


I've also had a little bird feeder hanging off the railing on my deck. It's got Finch Food in it. I always loved seeing the little finches at the farm that ate from the feeders that Dad and Beverly had out in front of the house. So I thought I'd see if they would find my feeder. After hanging out there for nearly a month, finally, one day I saw a couple of finches enjoying a few morsels. But today, I saw a bird that I've never seen before! It was small like a finch but had a red head and chest and the rest of it's body was the color of a barn swallow. The finches were frolicking with this particular bird on my fence, chairs on my deck and the railing. It was so cute!

Can you see the little thing between the rails? So pretty! I have no idea what kind it is.

I love watching my cats peer out the patio doors when they spot the birds as they sit on the perches of the feeder. The cats' tails flicker back and forth and their mouths twitch and squeak as they try to let me know that they have in sight, what they hope will be, their next snack!



1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

Are you becoming a bird watcher? And I really, really like the decoration that you hung on the front of your house--very tasteful.

Nice new design for the blog, btw!