Friday, April 22, 2011

Just a Quick Hop Home

My last trip home to ND was last summer in August.  One of the reasons it's been so long since I was there is the simple fact that the weather there has been relentless.  It seems like they have had one storm after another since last fall.  At Christmas time, my family came to Omaha.  In January when I always have vacation during the first week of the year, I opted to stay home again, because Mother Nature felt the need to stir things up in the upper Midwest.  The roads were always icy or covered with snow.  Each month since then, I've heard the reports of other snow storms that had passed through as well.  The state of ND just couldn't catch a break this winter!  So I've post poned my trips back home whenever I've thought I would go.  Finally, the weather in ND was supposed to be nice for the Easter holiday and I decided to make the trip home.   
My plan was set in motion to drive to my brother and sister-in-law's house today.  Then Saturday I'll go to Dad and Beverly's.  I still had to work today until 1:30 PM.  After work I went home to get my things ready to go and make sure my cats would be okay until the next day when one of my friends would stop by and check on them.  I stopped for gas on the way out of town and when I finally got on the road, it was 3 o'clock.  I thought for sure that I'd tire very soon due to the fact that I'd been up since 3 AM for work.  But I guess I was really excited to go home because I didn't stop one time to nap; I felt wide awake! 
The weather was nice which made for good driving conditions. 
As I was driving through SD near Brookings, Dad called to see if I had heard the weather report for ND.  The forecast was for snow/slushy driving conditions near Bismarck and travel would probably be an issue.  Really???  Great!  What happened to the nice weather?  I needed to stop in Brookings anyway, for refueling and something to eat.  So while I was there I checked the weather conditions on my phone and texted Kevin to see what the weather was like in Dickinson.  It looked like the south edge of the weather system that was moving through was hovering over Interstate 94, my route to Kevin's.  Lovely.....
I was hoping by the time I got to the Bismarck area, that it would be out of there or melted....one or the other.  So after making my stops I continued on my way north up Interstate 29.  Wouldn't you know it, about an hour later, I drove into rainy weather and eventually fog.  The fog was so thick that I could hardly see directly in front of my own vehicle.  This continued for about 20 miles.  Little did I know that the rain would never end, for the rest of my drive!  I had MANY hours to go!
Thankfully, the roads were only wet for the rest of the drive.  However, I'd had enough of rain for one day!  It is a little monotenous to have to keep watching the window wipers!  I made a few more stops along the way and arrived in Dickinson around 1AM mountain time.  It was almost 24 hours since I had gotten up for the day.  Ish. 
My nieces didn't know I was going to be there.  Well, at least two of them didn't.  Suzanna had seen some comments I had made on Face Book and kind of figured it out.  So the next morning after having slept a little upstairs in Hillary's room, I snuck down to the basement and found Suzanna awake and watching some TV.  She wasn't exactly surprised to see me!  But we still giggled with excitement to see each other.  Then I went to Abigail's room and woke her up.  She was so surprised she lept out of bed to give me a hug!  Then we went into Suzanna's room where Hillary was asleep on the floor.  Abigail told her we had a surprise for her.  She saw me and said "Auntie Sandy!  I'm so glad you're here!"  It was fun to surprise them!  We all went out to the family room and just sat around talking and laughing.  Upstairs Kevin and Susan were listening to the squeels and getting breakfast ready. 
That day, I was going to help Kevin with his weekly Saturday meal that he prepares with the help of one of the girls or Susan. He nominated me to help this week being I was there.  Here is what we prepared, in Kevin's words.  We made the meal for dinner instead of for supper, as I would be leaving for Dad's and they had church to attend.  It was very yummy!! 

Later we played Norwegian Whist and soon it was time for me to leave for Dad's.  Kevin's family had to get ready for church and eat supper before hand.  So we said our goodbye's and out the door I went for my 2 1/2 hour drive north. 


Abigail, Me, Kevin, Hillary and Suzanna

Abigail, Hillary and Suzanna coloring Easter eggs. 


Driving north to Dad's.  The scenery is gorgeous even though the roads are pretty bad with craters from all the oil field traffic! 


Sunset over ND


One of the hundreds of oil drilling rigs that have moved into the area. 


Gorgeous
Highway 22 north out of Dickinson and then highway 1804 takes me most of the way to Dad's.  However, when I got to the junction of 1804, there was a construction sign that said "road closed to thru traffic."  Really???  Great!  It was my connection to highway 2 that goes to Tioga.  I only had about 30 minutes left of my drive!  I had to drive west, almost to Williston.  I found the gravel road that goes north into Epping.  From there I made my way to highway 2 and then into Tioga.  Sheesh!  It was almost 10 PM when I arrived at Dad's!  An extra hour added to my drive that should have only taken 2 1/2 hours! 
After I got there, Dad and I went to see Beverly, whom was in the hospital and had been there for a couple of days by then.  Now, you have to realize that Tioga hospital is small.  Even at the late hour, we were able to go see Beverly.  The nurses know Dad and let us in.  We sat there for about an hour. 
Then we went to their house and visited a while before going to bed.  Tomorrow is Easter Sunday.

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

It was so good to have you here, even if only for a brief visit. And it was a lot of fun to have your help in the kitchen. Just imagine the fun possibilities if only you lived closer and could join us for Scandinavian meals more regularly . . .