Sunday, April 17, 2011

Movie Night

Saturday evening I had a phone call from my friend Trisa.  She asked if I would like to join she and her husband and our other friend Tina for dinner and a movie that night.  Sure why not?  I'm always up for that!
The plan was for me to go to their house and we would go to Tina's to pick her up.  The theater that we were going to was close by Tina's house.  Aksarben Cinema was our destination for a movie.  It's a new theater that just opened this last December.  We hadn't really decided on where to go for dinner but as it turned out, we ran out of time for that anyway.  A friend of our had been working on Trisa's car that day and he called while we were enroute to Tina's to say that it was done.  We made a detour to the auto shop and picked up her car so she'd have it for the rest of the weekend.  So our time to eat diminished. 
We found Tina ready to go and headed to the cinema.  They had a pretty decent choice of snacks and drinks and ended up buying items such as chicken strips and popcorn.  This would have to do and was actually enough for me with a beverage. 
The movie we had decided on was called The Lincoln Lawyer.  I wasn't sure about it from having seen a few previews but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. 



It stars Matthew McConaughey, Marisa Tomei and Ryan Phillipe, just to name a few.  It's a court room drama and kept me involved by the evidence that was uncovered and linked to everyone involved.  I personally liked the movie overall. 

We had kept our receipts from the movie as they could be used at a neighboring business for a discount. 
Jones Bros. Cupcakes and Cafe was offering $.50 off the purchase of one cupcake of your choice.  We hadn't been there before (the Aksarben Village is a fairly new addition in the middle of Omaha) and we had seen television commercials for it.  So after the movie we headed over to have a little dessert. 
We walked in to a crowded cafe and found our place in line.  After "ooohing and ahhhing" at all the delicious looking goodies, we made our selections and headed out the door.  These cupcakes are very large!  The frosting is so thick and heavy, and piled up so high that when we took it out of the box that it came in, it wanted to tip right over!  But it was soooo very tasty! 

Our stomachs full, we had talked briefly to our friend Tammy.  They were at home and other friends' Scott and Lisa were there.  So off we went to Tammy's.  We thought we'd stop by and say "Hi" before going home. 
It was a fun "spur-of-the-moment" plan for the night and I enjoyed the entire night.  I don't get out to the movies often due to the expense of one movie ticket ($9 at Aksarben Cinema) but occasionally I splurge. 

Another must-see.....

The other night, I happened to watch the premier of a new television sitcom:  Happy Endings.  I was laughing the entire way through!  It reminded me of the former hot sitcom, Friends.  I had seen the previews but had forgotten that it would be on.  I accidently ran across it and just decided on the spot, to watch.  It was very entertaining and I was laughing the whole time!  I highly suggest watching.....Wednesday nights at 9 central on ABC.

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

You can get chicken strips at the movie theater?! And adult beverages?! Uff-da, that's some "big city" stuff right there.

Mmm, those cupcakes look delicious. But again: a bakery that specializes in cupcakes? Very "big city."

I had heard good things about Happy Endings but haven't seen it yet . . . I may have to give it a chance.