Thursday, April 17, 2008

Now You See Them, Now You Don't!

Yesterday, I had one of my co-workers come over with his super duty pickup and a couple of chains. The job? Remove the bushes and a tree, of sorts, from the front of my porch. Why remove all of them? I'm glad you asked.
One of my next projects ( I know, I never have anything in the works!), is an outdoor improvement project. I am going to have a landscape company, Jay Moore Landscaping, beautify my front yard. I would like my porch to show from the street. Plus I don't really like having a place for potential intruders to hide whilst peering into my floor-to-ceiling windows!

I might remind you that I planned on moving on to the outside and give myself a break from the inside of the house. I thought I would be having a new deck built before this work began. However, the weather hasn't exactly been cooperative of late. It was far to cold and wet from all the rain we've been getting. Coupled with that, my builders have other things going on over the next couple of weeks so the deck project is on the back burner for now.
But the last couple of days have been a vast improvement. With temperatures in the upper 60's and 70's, I was able to get out into the yard. That being said, Kurt, along with the aide of his 5 year old, Hunter, arrived with chains and we began the not-so-easy job of removing landscape items. A total of 1 tree and 3 bushes were coming out. Well, that was the plan anyway.
First, I'll show you just which bushes I'm referring to. See below.

Ugly bushes that cover my little porch.
Ugly tree serving virtually no purpose.

We managed to get the ugly tree out without much of a struggle. Then we moved on to the bushes. The first one was a little stubborn but we persevered. We got to the bush right in the center and had a bit more difficulty. Long story short, a small portion of the bush is still, well, standing?, or maybe laying, I guess. Anyway, we'll get back to that bush another day with a different tool. With any luck, it will be tomorrow. Only if the weather holds. It's been raining here since 5 AM., and it's not supposed to quit until mid-day tomorrow. But we did get the last bush out without further delay.
If you recall this from last summer, this project actually started soon after I moved in. All the rest of this work will be the finishing touch. I will be raking all the little rocks together and getting them out as well. We took all the landscape edging out and made a small pile on my driveway. Kurt will take the trash to a dump for me in his pickup when we get the last of the bushes removed.
I would have let the landscape professionals do the removal. However, I'm saving myself roughly $300 by doing it myself! 'Nuf said!
The debris.
The holes and mud left behind mixed with rocks.
See the lone little bush?

Here is where the tree stood.

The finishing touches won't be done for about a week or so. There will be new plants, new mulch, more top soil, new edging and river rock to top it off. This will be the look in front of my house until Jay Moore and company arrive to make it inviting! Stay tuned!


1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

You've got to simmuh dawn naw with all that work you're doing! Relax! (But it sounds nice.)