Thursday, April 3, 2008

Time to Say Goodbye

Today has been a melancholy day for me most of the day. And as I sit here writing this, I am right in the middle of a pool of tears. I love my dog Oreo but I've been looking for another home for her due to the fact that I'm gone so many hours during the day. Therefore I don't get to spend a lot of time with her. I felt that she needed a better home with a family that could give her the attention that she deserves. I found just that.

A stay-at-home young Mom with two young kids and her husband will be picking up Oreo today. I am already sad to see her go. I hate knowing that she will be feeling like she has been abandoned yet again in her life. But I'm happy that she'll have more people around her and she won't have to be in a kennel all day. We have formed a very close bond in the short time she has been here...which is January 24TH, the day I adopted her. I've learned her signs for needing more water, wanting to go outside (she had a tough time showing this) and just plain wanting to play! She also has a very unique way of talking to me; she kind of growls under her breath. It's so funny to hear!

But I had to face facts. It's hard to have a dog while living alone. A person is very limited on things they can do, knowing your dog is at home in her kennel waiting for you to get home again. (I had to put her in the kennel to prevent accidents in the house.)

Her new family will be happy with her.....I love you Oreo. You're a sweet girl.





2 comments:

Kevin Moberg said...

You're a loving owner to put the needs of your dog ahead of your own desire to keep her. She's very fortunate that you found a good home for her, and she's lucky to have had you as a transitional home to get her accustomed to love and affection again. I'm sad that you're sad, but you should be proud of what you're doing. I love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad!! I'm in tears now too!, knowing how hard it is for you to let her go, and yet proud of you-for finding her a home that is right for her. I'm so very glad I got to meet her! She's a beautiful, sweet, funny girl, who really took to you quickly. You were/are good for her and I'm glad that she got to know you for a while too. I'll miss her next time I come to visit, but am hoping that she can continue to grow out of her fears and shyness-with her new family. Tears with you and love to you both!!