Saturday, February 14, 2009

New Snow at Last!

All week long, we've been hearing from our weather forecasters that there was a snowstorm moving in from the west coast. It was still off shore but was looking as though it would be moving in our direction. On Thursday night they were predicting that we would get between 4-6 inches of the white stuff.
I wasn't too concerned because I knew that I didn't have to work in it. I had a 4 day weekend ahead of me! Friday and Saturday I would be attending a two day conference here in town so it could snow all it wanted!
Friday morning I awoke early only because I'm so used to rising at 'O-dark-thirty (that's 3:30AM to all of you!). But no snow. It actually didn't start snowing until roughly 8AM. It was just flurries. In no time at all it had started to come down fast and heavy. The flakes were huge! Visibility dropped soon there after to half a mile. The forecast was right! I left home about 11:30AM for the conference. By this time there was a lot of snow on the ground already. And it was very wet and heavy.
During our break between the meeting and our evening session, I had a chance to come home and shovel my driveway. The temperature was 28* and the snow was already melting! It took me a little longer than normal to shovel due to the weight of the snow. I definitely got a work out for muscles that I forgot I had! When I was finished, I had literally broken a sweat because of the coat I had on.
But I knew that if it hadn't been done at this time, I may not have gotten around to it until Saturday night because I wouldn't be home very long. I'm glad I did....the sun melted what was left of it on the driveway during the day on Saturday and dried it off.
So after I got home I snapped a few pictures to show you our new piles. We ended up getting about 7 inches, depending upon which part of Omaha people live in.





My next door neighbors took advantage of the wet stuff and made a snowman!
This week the weather went from 60* on Tuesday and no snow in sight, to 7 inches of the white stuff and 15* at night! (hey, that rhymes!) That's Nebraska for you....

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Shoveling snow seems like the perfect way to celebrate.