Monday, February 2, 2009

The Super Bowl Game of Games! - XLIII

I enjoyed watching the game that had the Pittsburgh Steelers playing the Arizona Cardinals. (For those of you that don't like sports, it's the NFL. I.e., National Football League!)
This is the time of year that all NFL fans love because it is the culmination of a season of ups and downs, wins and losses, and injury plagued members of their favorite teams. Beginning with all the pre-games that start as early as August, all the way through the holidays and playoffs, this is the big one.
I was visiting at my friends Tammy and Steve's house. There was a large group of us all there to eat, drink and watch the game. Some were only there to eat, some only to drink and the others mainly watched just the commercials that are so widely popular across the country. This is the one day of the year that most everyone looks forward to the advertisements in between game time! Weird, huh? But they are known for the hilarity that comes along with them and I'm one of the guilty ones that looks forward to them. Especially the Clydesdale's and the Bud Light ads. Some of the ads even required 3D glasses. These were free at most stores in town.
The half time entertainment is usually quite classy as well. This year, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band were the highlight. I, having grown up listening the them, found it very entertaining. Members of his band include his wife. She is a red head and plays guitar. Another member, Steven Van Zandt, made his mark on the TV show The Sopranos as Silvio Dante. He wears a bandanna and plays guitar along side Bruce Springsteen.
However, that's not the only thing I like. I do enjoy watching the game itself. I happened to be cheering for the under dog Arizona Cardinals this year. I thought they were going to win it for a while. And the best part of any game is when it actually isn't over until the very last few seconds! That's what makes it a great game!

We had lots of food for everyone to share. Many of us contributed to the typical sports gathering feast. Hot dogs and the regular toppings, cheesy corn bread, mac and cheese (for the kids), chips, crackers and dips, a meat and cheese tray and dessert which was a confetti cake and Truffle Fudge Brownie Mix. And if you hadn't figured it out, I brought the two desserts!
After the game was over, I headed home along with 3/4 of Omaha! There was so much traffic. I believe that no one stayed home to watch the game! Everyone went somewhere else. That's how it seemed.
How many of you took part in Super Bowl game festivities? Maybe you took the next day off from work. I was fortunate to have the next day off because it's my normal schedule.
I hope you had a great Super Bowl Sunday....whether you watched the game or not! I can't wait for next fall!

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

We made a Super Bowl spread--a veritable feast of appetizers and finger foods. It was delicious.

However, we watched Crusoe with the kids instead.

P.S. I just ran my mouse over the black cat in your right sidebar, and it purred at me!