Sunday, January 3, 2010

Christmas Postponed

Today I was finally able to travel to ND to have Christmas with my family. I actually was scheduled to be at my brother's house on Christmas Eve. Mother Nature decided she didn't want families together for the holiday. She wreaked havoc on the roads with a monstrous blizzard that crippled the Midwest. Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota and parts of Iowa were all affected. The blizzard came through Nebraska on Christmas Eve day. The winds started blowing and the snow began falling leaving behind snowfall in varying amounts. Omaha ended up with 14 inches. Further north from here parts of SD received 16-18 inches. The storm changed directions moving northeasterly and then proceeded to move to the northwest. ND was hit a day or so after Omaha. Minot received 2 feet when all was said and done. I had to relent and made the decision to just stay home. If I hadn't I may have ended up in a hotel along the interstate somewhere between Omaha and Dickinson!


I spent a quiet Christmas at my own house with my two cats. In a way, it was nice to be home and not have to be anywhere on the poor roads. I had a nice warm fire and did next to nothing on both Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Except to shovel a couple of times, I didn't even venture out of my house until Monday morning after Christmas. Still, I wasn't happy that I didn't get to go "home" for the holiday. It was the first year in several that I was going to be able to spend it with Dad, Beverly, Kevin, Susan and the girls.

I spent a total of 6 days at home. Some of that time I utilized to sort through some old mail, clean, cook a lot of meals and catch up on TV shows that I'd recorded. Sometimes a person needs to do that! You know I did too! I was still scheduled to work on December 31ST and January 1ST. Then my official vacation would start. I rearranged plans with Kevin's and Dad's to go to ND during that time instead. I would leave Omaha on the 3rd and return here again the 8TH of January. By doing it this way, I would still be able to attend my company Christmas party on the 9TH of January. (We hold it after Christmas for various reasons.)

So that was the plan. I had to mentally plan out my days before I left and decide what I would need to take care of before doing so. Laundry would have to be done, Christmas decor could be put away then instead of after I returned, gifts would need to be packed up as well as all my baking that I wanted to take with me.

I normally take the first week of January as vacation. It's typically still busy from the Christmas holiday at the airport and more years than not in the last 7, a snowstorm comes through that week as well. And storm it did while I was gone. Omaha got a total of 5 inches more. My neighbor had agreed to clean off my driveway for me while I was gone, if needed. He did. One of my friends was coming over daily to tend to my cats.

OK, Christmas has officially been postponed for the Moberg family. Ho hum. And so it goes.





1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

Disregard the postponement. The important thing is that you still were able to deliver your homemade baking for us to eat. (I've got my priorities.)