Saturday, April 17, 2010

Friends, Food and Friendship

Well, our grilling season is now in full swing. The get togethers at friends' houses is being planned a week ahead of time now.

Tonight we all were at Trisa and Jamie's house. They were going to grill hot dogs and brats. Anyone that was a guest was bringing a different dish to go with it. Yesterday, I myself made a huge pasta salad with Italian dressing smothering it. In a large bowl I had placed cut up cucumbers, yellow peppers and red peppers. I added sliced black olives and cooked small shell pasta. Then I grated an entire block of Parmesan cheese into it. I coated all of this with Italian dressing that I had added sugar to, for sweetness. (I love anything with a sweet flavor....blame my Mother!) I let this all chill overnight for maximum flavor. Apparently it was a hit. I didn't have a lot left so I gave some to Marsha and Duane to take home. He had really loved it and was glad to help eat it up. I had just enough for myself to eat up in a couple more meals. Perfect. There were several other salads, baked beans, chips and dips and pineapple upside down cake. Delicious!

Out on the driveway, one of the neighbors had brought over a grill pit and had a nice fire burning for a little warmth in the chilly evening air. There was an ample supply of marshmallows for roasting. I myself had a few "slightly charred to perfection" marshmallows. Others were adding them to crackers with a little chocolate candy bar to create the perfect s'more.

Trisa and Jamie had removed their vehicles from the garage in order to make space for tables and chairs. Some sat in there to visit. The kids were loving the cool evening for their games and riding scooters up and down the sidewalk. Other kids were in the backyard playing on the swings. It was a very relaxing night and it was fun to meet some of their other neighbors.

Inside at the table, others sat and visited. Madison (Scott and Lisa's daughter) sat next to me. I was showing her pictures of my cats on my cell phone. She learned very quickly how to get from the main screen into the gallery of photos and find my cats' pictures! Then I showed her how to take pictures with it. She was having a blast! See for yourself!






Madison and I taking a "self portrait"! (I had to help aim)






On the second try it turned out a little bit better....."Cheese!"



Some pictures were deleted as they were of the floor or the table or whatever happened to be in sight. Madison's hands are small and she had a hard time holding it just right while trying not to push the button that takes the pictures, until it was time to do so.

The next cook out is already being planned. Either at Steve and Tammy's or Scott and Lisa's. I'll find out this week. Gotta love Spring!

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

Careful: at this rate, you might get sick of grilling before summer even arrives!