Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Night of Music

Last night I was invited to hear a performance by one of the members of Mulberry Lane. Jaymie Jones was going to be singing and playing her guitar at a small local coffee shop called Crane Coffee.
I went with two of my friends Trisa and Tina. We walked in right at 7PM, the start time. There were only 2 other people in there: her husband and a supporter of 10 years of the group Mulberry Lane, Roy. We were a little surprised as we thought that there may be many people in the tiny little coffee shop. But we sat down and had conversation with Jaymie (J.J. is her name for the band) and her groupies. She told us that 2 of her sisters have recently had babies and she was going to try the solo act for awhile. Later in the year they will regroup to ready for themselves for the holidays.
She has booked herself at some local places in hopes of someone hearing her and wanting her to play at their establishment. Some of the songs that she sang were written by she herself. She mentioned that the record label that they had started with back in 1997, MCA, has gone out of business. So she is hoping that someone will pick her up either from her song writing talents or simply from her singing. I took video with my phone of one of her own songs but I'm unable to share it due to the size of the file of the video. Mulberry Lane has a My Space page.....but hasn't been updated recently from what I could tell. You may be familiar with a Christmas song that has been on the radio quite a bit during the season itself...."Christmas in Nebraska." Jaymie has an awesome voice by herself. I can't imagine that she won't make it as a soloist.

After visiting with she and her husband and exchanging emails and Face Book info, we all left and took Trisa to her car so she could go home. Tina and I decided to join a few other friends at another establishment that was having a live band and dancing. Kennedy's Irish Pub and Grille's music for the night was Lemon Fresh Day. They sang songs that ranged from Elvis Presley to songs by Johnny Cash. Everything you can imagine, they sang it. Rap, R& B, country, pop and rock just to name a few styles. Apparently they are pretty popular as the bar was full of people. The dance floor was always busy as well. My poor ears aren't used to having the volume of sound as high as it was though. They continued to ring even after I went to bed. It would have been just as good with it turned down a notch or 4. Now I know I'm aging! But I'm also used to wearing hearing protection at my job to keep the loudness out.
We decided that they are very good though, and would enjoy seeing them next weekend. I guess we're gluttons for punishment!
One can never have enough music!

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

"A notch or four"?! Ha!

I'll bet you have lots of opportunities for live music of all styles where you live. As well as live theatre, art shows, museum displays, and all kinds of cultural events . . . lucky.

Right now I'm listening to Mulberry Lane's version of "Crazy Love"--I like it! I checked out some of Lemon Fresh Day's YouTube videos, too--not bad, although I prefer the musicality of Mulberry Lane.