Monday, November 22, 2010

Back to Basics

Think about something you've been doing for years. Maybe even as far back as your childhood. Is it something that you may consider yourself good at? Can you almost do it with your eyes closed? Would you even go as far as saying you're very good at it? For example, I play piano as does my whole family. I think I'm pretty good at it too. But so are the other members of my family. No one can never learn enough on any one topic or talent, at least I don't think so anyway. There is always something new to everything. Times change and so do talents, products and methods.

That being said, I decided that I wanted to find out just what I didn't know about,....wait for it,........bowling! I never bowled as a child on a league or team. The first time I really remember bowling was after I was out on my own. My sister was in a band that traveled. So when they got close to home (back in ND), I tried to join them and during their free times, we'd go bowling. I never had any sort of official coaching in the sport of bowling. I just sort of developed my own style and feel for it.
After I moved to Omaha back in 1995, I was invited to join a women's team that consisted of some of my friends. I've been bowling ever since. I don't think I'm all that bad. My average is no where near 200 but it's currently sitting at 150. Not terrible. But I feel that I've climbed a small hill in developing a better technique and now I've leveled off in that climb. So I thought maybe I could learn a few new tricks to aide in bowling better and increasing my average.

I knew from shopping at a pro bowling shop, Tom Kelley Bowling Pro Shop, that classes were being offered to anyone young and old alike. They were held once a month at Wildcat Lanes. It just so happened that the next class was only five days away. So I signed up. I thought it wouldn't hurt to find out what I could do to improve my game.

The teacher, Tom Kelley Sr., whom is now 70 years young, does not look or seem to be 70. He is a tall, slim, gentle, soft spoken man that moves around like he's only 30. If you click on the web site and look at the slides, you'll see photos of him helping customers and one with his son. You'll also see pictures of the shop and the products they have for sale. Both Tom and his son know almost everything there is to know about the sport of bowling. If you need a bowling ball, they make sure it's a ball that is the proper weight for your stature and they do a great job of measuring your hand and drilling the holes in the ball for your fingers for a proper fit for your fingers.

Also on the web site, click on the tab near the top of the page that says "about us." You can read about both Tom, Sr. and Tom, Jr. They have earned many trophies at the state and national level. Both are very accomplished bowlers.

The class consisted of actual class time and then we headed out to the lanes for some actual bowling. We spent about one hour going over the basics; how to hold the ball, the approach, the release and the stance, just to name a few. Once we got out on the floor, Tom, Sr., took video of each of us so that we could see ourselves and figure out what we were doing improperly. He told me I had a great approach but I wasn't holding the ball in my hand the proper way.

It didn't occur to me to take any pictures of Tom, Sr., himself until we were almost done. Then I only got one from the side. So you'll have to look at the web site to see him smiling.





Tom Kelley, Sr.


Now it's been about two weeks since the class and I bowl once a week. I've been trying to apply what I've learned but it's tough to break old habits. I find myself resorting back to some old habits because on occasion, they seem to work. I realize that the "correct" way of doing things would come naturally with practice. But it's hard to practice on league nights when I must keep up my average! So for now, until I have practice time, I'll do what I can with the knowledge I have. Basically.

2 comments:

Snoozn said...

If you'd like a little practice time while your nieces are visiting, they love to go bowling. :-)I'm not so good at it -- but they like to have the bumpers up, so we can all avoid gutter balls!

Kevin Moberg said...

So you CAN teach an "older" dog new tricks.