Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Concert

Do you have a favorite radio station during the holidays?  I'm talking about one that plays Christmas music most, if not all, of the time.  Here in Omaha, I do.  It plays holiday music starting right after Thanksgiving up through the end of Christmas.  I listen to it mostly when I'm baking or decorating for Christmas.  It really gets me geared up for the season.  When I'm in my vehicle, I listen to many;  switching between several on satellite and the local station I like the most. The local station is where I first heard of the group called Mulberry Lane.  They are from Omaha, NE.  I was surprised at how good they were.  Four sisters that grew up on Mulberry Lane.  One of the songs that they are so well known for is called Christmas In Nebraska.
 

This video has actual slide photos of Nebraska, mostly Omaha.  I recognize most of them from downtown. 


This past summer, I had the pleasure of meeting one of the sisters when she was doing a solo performance at a local coffee shop.  I attended along with two of my friends.  Jaymie, the oldest, was there and played her guitar to accompany herself.  She sang a few songs that she had just written along with a few familiar ones that we'd heard.  She gave us her web site information along with her Face Book friend invitation.  Ever since, I see what's happening with their band and keep up with them.  It was from Face Book that I knew of their holiday concert schedule.  I wanted to go no matter what.  Back in October, I bought tickets.  My friend Tammy wanted to go also and bring her entire family.  She also wanted to get tickets for her own Mom and Mother-in-Law;  their gifts for Christmas.  The concert was scheduled for December 17Th at the Orpheum Theater.  I couldn't wait! 

 Tammy and her family....minus the guy on the far left. 

The front of the Orpheum Theater.  The interior is beautiful.  We were not allowed to take photos during the concert.  Major bummer....


The evening turned out to be a very decent one.  The weather was chilly but tolerable.  We were able to park our two vehicles fairly close to the theater thanks to the elder two "Moms" and their handicap parking signs we hung on our rear view mirrors.  
Prior to the concert, I went to Tammy and Steve's house with two wine bottles in hand.  She had cooked up an awesome Manicotti meal for all of us to eat before heading out in the cool night air.  It was so yummy! 
The concert was very entertaining.  They danced, sang, played instruments and entertained.  At one point, the drummer and bass player even joined in the fun.  ALL of them did a switch of instruments several times during one song, taking turns on everything on stage!  It was funny to see them run around as if they were playing a game called "Chinese Fire Drill."    When Rachel sang her solo, Baby, It's Cold Outside, they had one man from the audience come up on stage and sing the male part of the song.  There was a lot happening throughout the performance and it kept it very lively! 

The signed photo I received because of the location and price I paid for my ticket. 

The four sisters have a very tight harmony.  It's great to hear them sing A Cappella, which they did for a medley of Christmas songs. 
So I actually can cross two things off my "bucket list", if you will;  I went to the Orpheum Theater and I heard Mulberry Lane in concert.