Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Overtime Galore!

Over the years of my employment with Southwest Airlines, I've seen a lot of ramp agents either quit, get fired or simply promote to supervisor.  Whichever of those things happens, a position on the ramp opens up which in turn creates over time.  I'm not usually one to turn down the extra pay or the extra hours.  I'll work over time pretty much anytime I can if I have nothing else happening. 
This spring has been no exception.  All of a sudden we had three positions open up on the ramp.  Wow!  Over time hours were in abundance!  I decided to cash in. 
I signed up to work overtime on both my days off, Sunday and Monday, for the next two weekends.  And I knew I would get it too.  There were so many shifts available that they actually had to mandatory agents if there weren't enough people volunteering to work it. 
I remember one year, maybe about 14 years back, having worked a month straight without a day off.  Some of it was voluntary and some of it was mandatory.  But I raked in any hours I could because it definitely enhances the paycheck!  We get paid time and a half on our first day off and double time on our second consecutive day off.  So it's worth it to put in the time.  I knew I was in for a long couple of weeks by doing this but I wanted to take whatever I could get. 
I'm so used to getting up early that even when I do have a day off, I'm up by 6AM, as a rule.  So why not just work and make some extra money? 
I was ready for the long haul....bring it on! 

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

You can deposit that extra money in the "K & S remodeling projects" fund by mailing them to my address, which I know you have.