Saturday, August 7, 2010

ND-Day 5

A continental breakfast was being served at the church this morning which included: donuts, home made caramel rolls, coffee and juice. So I got up first and went in early. It was plenty for me and it left room for the pie that was going to be served at 11:00 AM!
I went in to eat earlier than the others just so that I could go upstairs in the church and practice piano and organ before too many people arrived. I didn't want to bother people or even give anyone a preview of what they would be hearing later that day and on Sunday. I had been asked to play organ for services on Sunday morning but I wanted to play through some of the songs before hand.

Not long after I started playing, others began showing up. So I finished going through all my songs and went downstairs again to find my family. Some had eaten and left the church to walk the streets for the flea market that was beginning outside. It's an annual event during this time of year. I remember helping Mom when we were growing up, with her booth and even shopping a little bit for myself to find a new treasure. So the streets were very active with folks meandering around. It was hard to walk very far without seeing someone you knew and stopping to catch up a bit. And even though the streets are quite short, it took a long time to get from one end to the other! Sometimes I couldn't even finish a conversation before another familiar face would walk up beside me! But it was so fun to see so many friends and extended family.

I found some relatives to join me back at the church for some yummy pie and coffee. Then it was back outside to walk it off. We went to look at the classic cars that were lined up along the street for the car show. Well, there wasn't a show but the cars were parked and open for people to check them out!
Here is Dad driving his old truck: 1929 International 6-speed Special.

This truck once belonged to his Grandpa August.

There was a concession's trailer parked near the tent. They had alot to choose from including some very tasty home made lemonade! People snacked on food from them throughout the day and many just sat under the tent out of the sun, visiting with each other.

Some extended family members visiting with my sister (her back is turned and she's wearing purple) sitting at tables under the tent.

More family....
Then it was time for the afternoon program. Several people took part including my family. Kevin's family and my sister sang a song while I accompanied them on Dad's keyboard. Dad also played some songs on his accordian with Cathy and her guitar and I on the keyboard. Later, after all the other performances, all the musicians that had been on stage, sang a song as a group about North Dakota.

My cousin Brenda, Me, my brother Kevin, my sister Cathy. We're reading a poem about McGregor and how times have changed since 1910.


Cathy, Dad and I are jamming.
Once the program concluded, we had time before the evening meal would be served under the tent. So I drove to Tioga as my vehicle needed gas! It's the nearest town that I could get it. It only took me about 45 minutes to go there and back. I returned and found my family again to join them for our supper. We got in line according to the tables that we had been sitting at while visiting. It cut down on time spent standing in the sun waiting for our turn to get our food. This meal had been catered by The Royal Fork from Minot, ND.
Later there was music by Jeff Nelson's Music Machine out of Williston, ND. Before the night was over, some raffles and an auction for a memorial gun took place.
Cathy and I found more people to visit with out on the street before heading back to the farm for the night. Another late night for us....but so worth it.

**Thanks to Kevin and Susan for a few of these photos.**







1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

**You're welcome.**

You and Cathy are such late-night party animals! I was happy to have the girls as an excuse for heading home and getting to bed. It was a long, active, hot-hot-hot day on the sunny streets of McGregor.