Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Road Trip to ND 2010

Today was the day I'd been waiting for, for a long time. I was going to ND but not just to visit family and friends. My home town, McGregor, was celebrating the centennial of the town and the centennial of the church as well. Also, my brother turns 40 on August 10TH and there was a surprise party in the works!

Several months ago, I'd received a phone call from a lady in my home town church. She asked me if I would do the honor of playing the organ for services on that Sunday of the big weekend. I was honored to be asked quite honestly!

Having my vehicle packed and ready to go for my week long visit, I left home around 8AM to begin my twelve hour trek northward. Barring too much road construction, I should be in Tioga by 8PM. Hopefully.....

Side note: the first area of road construction that I had come upon had me at a complete stand still no more than twenty miles north of Omaha!

The rest of my drive was nothing unusual. More road construction in numerous areas along the way but all in all it was a great day for a drive. Not much more than a breeze and it was cool enough that I didn't really need air conditioning. My snacks were in the front seat where I could reach them and other than stopping to refill my gas tank a couple of times, I was on the road all day. I arrived in Tioga at Dad's house roughly 8:45 PM. My sister Cathy had arrived two days before from Oregon and was outside with Dad and Beverly when I arrived.



One of many regular sights you may see as you drive through the northwestern part of ND. Oil drilling rigs are everywhere!

Another normal view....rolling plains. It's very flat through much of the state of ND.


We visited for several hours before all turning in for the night. This is normal for us. Getting to bed before midnight or later is rare when we all get together. Cathy and I were staying there in town with Dad and Beverly for the next two nights but will go to the farm to stay when my brother Kevin and his family arrive; sibling time back on the farm that we all still love to visit when we're all home. And besides, there was more room for all of us to spread out and closer to McGregor where we would be spending most of our time during the course of the weekend.

The farm I grew up on. This picture was (obviously) taken a couple years ago in the month of November. Trust me, there isn't snow there right now!


Each day for the rest of the week was already filled with scheduled activity and it was going to be a very busy time for us all! There will be lots to do before Kevin's surprise party!

2 comments:

Kevin Moberg said...

RE: one of your photo captions:

It may be flat through parts of ND--notably the parts through which they chose to build major roadways for quick travel--but that's not the case in most of the state.

There are Badlands, mountains, hills, valleys, lakes, rivers, all sorts of interesting terrain. That's not convenient to drive through, so the major roads don't generally pass through those areas; but they're there!

Our family discovers more and more about it as we choose to take off-the-beaten-path routes on our various travels around the state.

Kevin Moberg said...

You're a devious little party planner, aren't you?!