Monday, December 15, 2008

Can You Smell the Goodies?

Christmas baking is one of my favorite things to do at this time of year. As a child, I remember first watching and enjoying the finished projects that my Mom used to present our family and all our visitors. Later, I got to help and over the years have kept the tradition going. It's something that is a must-have for the holidays. What's Christmas without all the fattening cookies and candies to satisfy one's sweet tooth?
I only wish my back could handle the long hours of standing a little better than it does. I happened to have today and tomorrow off for vacation days. What better time than the present to bake? It's only 5* outside and tomorrow it's supposed to snow along with the frigid temperatures! Perfect days to heat up the oven!

So far all I accomplished was make a small batch of fudge, 3 1/2 dozen spritz cookies made with my Pampered Chef Cookie Press, and I baked 60 roll-out and cut-out cookies that will be frosted tomorrow. I had to take a break and sit. I have a small list of other goodies that I plan on getting done as well.
The rest of my list includes but is not limited to: peanut butter fudge, chex mix, peanut butter cups, almond bark coated pretzels, cake-like cookies and Lefse. The Lefse is a project that I will want to have at least half a day to make. It's a project that is messy and requires plenty of counter top space. But it's definitely worth the time and energy put into making it. My own Mom used to make it every year around the holidays. I decided to pick up where she left off and have been trying to perfect it now for roughly 7 years! I inherited the lefse griddle and the turning sticks along with the different recipes that she used. Let me just say that I have NOT perfected it. It tastes OK (in my own opinion) but I struggle! And I'm not usually one to struggle when it comes to baking or cooking. Let's hope that this year is better than the last time I made it! Cross your lefse sticks!
Sunday the 21st is when I plan on heating up the kitchen once again. The forecast is for a high of 5*! Again, another great day to stay home and heat the oven.
I will share all my goodies with the people I work with and keep some for myself and Dad and Beverly when they come to visit in a couple of weeks. It's nice to have something to munch on at work in between meals. And I think everyone appreciates it as well. I would love to share them with all of you if you can stop by for a visit! Happy Baking!

2 comments:

Kevin Moberg said...

"Cross your lefse sticks" -- funny!

I would love to be able to pop over and sample some of your Christmas baking. It's always a bit like having Mom around again when you get into the kitchen!

Anonymous said...

I have read about this Lefse stuff, and cannot grasp what in carnation it is. Maybe we can perfect it together sister. I will bring the wine. Lord knows I am always good for the wine. Hee Hee