Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Came and Went

This year Christmas was pretty uneventful for me. I decided that I would stay home this year....partly due to the fact that I couldn't get the actual days around Christmas off from work. So I volunteered to work all day. Literally, I worked from 6 AM until 1 Am. That made for a long day. 19 hours worth! I figured if I wasn't leaving town and no one from my family would be here, I would work and save someone else with young'ens from being mandatoried. Plus, the paycheck would be worth it. I was home Christmas Eve and opened my gifts from my niece (she drew my name) and enjoyed some classic TV shows and holiday movies.
The next day was very exhausting. We still had a pretty full flying schedule even though typically we have a "holiday" schedule with a reduction in flights for the day. Not so much this year! All our flights were full and people packed their bags as if they would never return. Heavy, huge suitcases! Do people really ever think about why they pack that way? REALLY! Needless to say that by the end of the day, my shoulders were screaming at me! My job all day was to deliver all the inbound bags from every flight to the baggage carousel.
I didn't arrive home that night until roughly 2 AM. Just long enough for an hour and 1/2 nap. I rose again at 3:15 for work on Friday. Once I finished that shift at 1:30 PM, I drove home and napped. Can you blame me?!?
I just kept thinking about the paycheck.....it was worth it! Plus, I had fun with passengers. I wore my Santa hat and waved to all the kids in the windows of the airport. They were so excited for either the trip they were about to embark on or, just seeing someone outside on the ramp noticing them in the window and waving to them was neat. The weather wasn't too bad considering the day on the calendar.
I don't work every year on Christmas. So next year maybe I'll take the day off. I'm not as young as I used to be.....phew!
I hope your Christmas was family-oriented and warm and cozy!

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

(A) Good point about the luggage. I never would have given it a second thought were it not for your insight as someone who actually has to handle the baggage.

(B) You slept only 1.5 hours before another day of work?!?! What do you think you are, a doctor working in the emergency room?! I'm glad you didn't kill yourself falling asleep at the wheel either to or fro work . . . or out on the tarmac!