Monday, February 11, 2008

3 Days 'Till Valentine's Day

If you read yesterday's blog, you'll see that, in honor of Valentine's Day, I'm going to continue on with more quotes. Can you tell me who said them?

Quote #1 Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.

Quote #2 I have learned not to worry about love; but to honor it's coming with all my heart.

Quote #3 How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I think some of you will definitely remember the last one. Kevin and Susan, I expect you two to know it for sure! ;)

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Did You Know??????

There are many opinons as to who was the original Valentine, with the most popular theory that it was a clergyman who was executed for secretly marrying couples in ancient Rome. In any event, in 496 A.D., Pope Gelasius set aside February 14 to honor St. Valentine. Through the centuries, the Christian holiday became a time to exchange love messages and St. Valentine became a patron saint of lovers. In the 1840s, Esther Howland, a native of Massachusetts, is given credit for sending the first Valentine cards. The spirit of love continues as valentines are sent with sentimental verses and children exchange valentine cards at school.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I remember as a child, trying to come up with some original idea for a Valentine card box for school. We always exchanged them with each other in our classes, grades 1-6. Everyone was given one. And the teacher would award a prize to the student with the most original design. Mine were always the worst! A basic shoe box decorated with red and white hearts that I had cut out of construction paper. BORING!!! Some of my classmates made some very fancy boxes. I remember one that resembled a very nice house and the cards were put in through a slit that was cut into the roof top. It was cool!
Do you have special childhood memories of Valentine's Day?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember making Valentine's boxes with my Grandma Morey -- she LOVED it when any of the grandkids had special "projects" for school that she could provide "help" for. The girls and I worked on THEIR containers yesterday -- but we didn't have any shoe boxes, so they made Valentine's BUCKETS out of pails from Schwan's ice cream!

Kevin Moberg said...

Shakespeare again!