Wednesday, July 16, 2008

From Weeds to Wonderful!

Well, it's been a long wait. I've pretty much had the front yard directly in front of my porch ready to be spruced up since the early part of May. I have been waiting for one particular landscaping company to let me know when they would be here to get the job done that I hired them to do. After several phone calls to them and seldom any responses, I finally left one last message. Let me know if they will be doing the job, or I would hire someone else to do it. NEVER even received a phone call! Can any of you understand how a reputable company handles business in this fashion?

And so it went.........I hired someone else! Augusta Lawn and Landscape. The formerly hired landscapers can eat dirt!!! (sorry...bad pun!)

Yesterday, I arrived home and found most of the project completed. The guys doing the job weren't there but from what I could tell, there wasn't much left to do. A couple of plants still needed to be planted and then the brick edging had to be put in place. Otherwise, it looked great compared to what I'd been looking at since May! But I'll let you be the judge. Check it out for yourself.........

Here is the old look from last summer...



The old bushes and juniper plants that were not only boring but, um, boring!


A view from the side.

Today upon arriving home, I found that the other two plants and the brick edging had been added to finish up the look! And here it is.....

The view from the same direction as the photo above.


The view from the other end.

This is at the end of the porch. The plant on the left is a Variegated Hosta and one next to it is the Korean Lilac. The last one is a Dense Yew.

Don't you think this has a lot more curb appeal? I like the way the porch (which gives the house character if you ask me!) shows up now. The shrubs are called Dense Yews. They shouldn't grow very large and over take the porch. There are also Daylillies, Salvia, a Korean Lilac and a Hosta Variegated. Around all these plants I had them put down some river rock and mulch. And the small areas with just soil will be left open for me to plant annuals each spring. The edging is brick.

Next spring is when I'll be making the most of the areas of just soil by planting the flowers that I love to have! I won't have to use as many pots. I can't wait!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful. I like the brick edging, may take your idea and use it here. We had a Yew at our old house a few years ago and it was beautiful, but I do remember it growing a bit tall, it could be that it was a different variety. Also like what the Korea Lilac will look like, I will have to see if that's something we can grow here. Great photo's and it's a beautiful front porch yard. -JD from Georgia

Anonymous said...

It's looking great -- can't wait to see it in person! And I LOVE the brick edging -- some folks in our neighborhood have had that put in recently, and I really like the way it looks.

Kevin Moberg said...

How nice! I remember when we had landscapers come and redo the perimeter of our former house . . . how we just walked around and looked and looked afterward. It's just so nice to see everything tidy and new!

And you're right: it's nice to be able to see the porch railing.

P.S. One week!!