Friday, November 28, 2008

My Thanksgiving

Because I was unable to be in ND (or with any family for that matter!) this week, I signed up to work on Thanksgiving Day. It fell in the middle of my normal work week anyway. Plus I get paid more money. What's not to be thankful for?
After I arriving home roughly 1:30 PM, I put my 8.8 LB turkey in my Smart Pot slow cooker. I glazed it with Pomegranate Chipotle Sauce, from Tastefully Simple of course, and covered it so that the cooking process could proceed properly. Then I set the cook time for 4 hours on high. From there, I found a comfy spot in my chair and whilst watching TV, promptly fell asleep. It was a nice short nap that gave me energy to get up and make a few small casseroles that I ate along with my little turkey. My other side dishes included: Scalloped Corn, Sweet Potatoes, and Green Bean Casserole. I left out the mashed potatoes because I simply wouldn't have had a big enough stomach anyway!
After only 3 hours, the turkey was done! I hadn't even started putting the casseroles together!
Once they were in the oven I proceeded to do some minor chores and watched some football for awhile.
Finally the meal was done baking! I ate more than I should, as everyone seems to do, and after cleaning up the kitchen, relaxed in my favorite chair one more time.
I had given my Dad a call to see how their day had gone. My brother's family was visiting at his house for a few days. My sister Cathy had called earlier in the day and we were able to get caught up once again on what each other has been so busy with from day to day.
It wasn't long after my meal and the turkey had worked it's magic on my brain, that slumber came once again. After snoozing in my chair for about 1/2 an hour, I gave in and went to bed. It was only about 9 PM! Sheesh! I am definitely getting older!
I had a very nice quiet day.....and I ate quite well. Thankfully, it was a nice Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

Getting "older"? Must be a typo; don't you mean "old"?!

Oh, I'm so-o-o-o funny--yes, I know.

Glad to know that you ate well, even without a houseful of company. We had Roger over last night for another Thanksgiving, and I just turned the leftovers into turkey soup for our supper tonight. Smells yummo!