Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Work Continues

After returning to Dad and Beverly's house on Sunday, I set about to make some home made Chicken Noodle Soup. Beverly was busy trying to finish up the ironing that needed to be done.
Before I had gone to Dickinson, I had re-arranged the living room furniture in an effort to accommodate some extra furniture that had been acquired from Beverly's Mom after her passing. I vacuumed the floor as I moved things around as it's hard for Beverly to do with her shoulder still on the mend from surgery earlier this fall.
My aunt Penny, Dad's sister, stopped in with some left over Angel Food Cake just as we had sat down to eat supper. So she joined us to eat soup and then some of the cake. Very good! We ate most of a large stock pot full of soup! After eating, Dad and I practiced the songs that were going to be sung for the funeral. Then it was just plain 'ol fun----we sat at his keyboard and sang songs from the hymnal that I had jazzed up by using the different settings and beats that can make the song sound like an entire band is playing along!

When I had arrived on Thursday, Dad had received a phone call regarding the passing of a long time resident of the McGregor area, Bud Thorson. He had been the post master in McGregor for years. He and his wife Arlene had just celebrated their 60TH wedding anniversary a few weeks ago. The family asked Dad to sing at the funeral, which was Bud's request. They had found a piece of paper with Bud's hand writing, stating this request. How can one resist when it's from the deceased them self. How sweet to think of this.
I ended up playing organ for the service and accompanied my Dad for his songs as well. I've known the family for years so it was an honor to be able to do this. I remember baby sitting for Bud's grandchildren through the years while I was in high school. Some of them didn't remember me though! (it's tough to get older!) It was nice to see so many McGregor residents after all the years that have passed by. The service was held in my home town church on Monday, November 17TH. It's like time hadn't moved when I walked through those doors. I got to play the organ that my own Mother used, as she was the organist for several years before her passing. And getting to play piano for my Dad brought back many memories of He and Mom singing together for many weddings and funerals alike, that I accompanied them for, many many years ago.
It was a nice service followed by a luncheon served by ladies of the church. There were maybe 150 (?) people in attendance to pay their respects to the family of Bud. The church was full and they opened up another area in the back of the church in order for all to take part in the service.
God bless the memory of Bud Thorson.

After the service and returning back to the farm, I helped Beverly with the exchange of summer and winter clothes in their proper places. I also helped empty some boxes and made many trips up and down the steps to the basement so that they wouldn't have to, and stored things from the motor home in their respective places. I then set about vacuuming the kitchen, computer room, their bedroom and the laundry room. As I did this, I tried to organize the things that I moved around in order to vacuum. Beverly was busy doing some dusting as I vacuumed.
Then we moved out to the garage and tried to organize some of the things that will go to the new owner of the motor home. It may have been a small dent in the projects that they want to do but it all helps I guess!
Later, I set about making a supper consisting of meat loaf, sliced potatoes with butter and seasoning that were baked, and mixed vegetables. It was very filling and along with the left over soup, should give them a few more meals that won't require much prep time.
Beverly's daughter-in-law called to see if we were busy. She came out to the farm for a visit.

After sitting up for a few more hours watching TV, it was off to bed......I had a long drive ahead of me the next day to return to NE.