Monday, July 20, 2009

Sky Art

As you know, I have a job that is performed in the great outdoors. (I work on the ramp for Southwest Airlines.) On occasion we witness many beautiful changes in the sky, such as cloud formations either prior to a storm or right after.
On this particular day, the forecast for mid morning was for thunder storms that would last briefly as they were moving at a fairly quick pace from the northwest to southeast. Today I was working in our baggage room, the area that the bags come into after being checked in by passengers. We sort them into carts for their respective flights here as well. The temperatures were nice and cool at the early hour of 5 AM so we had our 3 big overhead garage doors open to allow the cool breeze to flow into our garage/bag room. This allowed us to keep watch on the sky and see how the storms that were building were nearing the airport.
I stepped outside and upon looking northwesterly, I saw a very pretty sight. Although I didn't have my actual camera, I used my cell phone to snap a quick photo. The storms were moving in quickly and the sunrise reflected beautifully through the clouds.



Here, there is a street light that shines down on the US Airways ramp that looks like the moon!
Our baggage room is on the north end of the building near the ramp where US Airways flights arrive/depart. But here we also have a great view of the northern sky. In between the check-in rushes, we were able to see the changes of the cloud movements. So we watched vigilantly as storms were rapidly moving closer to the airport.
The humidity was growing thicker. Soon the rain was pounding down and the water was running everywhere! A lot of rain fell in a very short amount of time. But it wasn't long before the storms were east of the airport and the sun was shining brightly. It turned out to be a very nice day!

1 comment:

Kevin Moberg said...

Pretty! I am amazed at the infinite number of ways in which the sky can look so beautiful--although I don't often see any examples firsthand of 5:00 A.M. sky beauty!